Thanks to editor and coauthor, Katrina Stone, for her valuable contributions.
America, it seems, has an oversized concern for the top 1% of income earners. In fact, Congress downright adores the 1% and their corporations with subsidies and tax breaks, and every type of favoritism. This outsized love of the wealthy has caused a systemic crisis of extreme unfairness and destruction of the American Dream for much of the other 99%. Where is the empathy for the rest of us?!
Editor and coauthor: Katrina Stone
I grew up with guns. My dad returned from tramping all over Europe as a foot soldier carrying a rifle during WWII. Like so many veterans, he came home with a love of shooting. Sometimes he took us kids with him to a local hillside called Lead Hill where he would plink at cans and shoot at targets.
Soon, I had guns of my own. I had a BB air rifle at age 9, a .22 rifle at age 12, a shotgun, and later on rifles and pistols. I loved shooting. Still do, actually.
Great writing! Superb message! A living wage for all with basic benefits and dignified work free of harassment is the first step toward creating an economy that serves the majority, not the wealthy few.
Katye, this piece will go VIRAL!! I'm ready to head for the barricades!! All workers of all incomes need to stand in solidarity on this and demand living wages and benefits for all workers! If one worker suffers, we all suffer. If one worker flourishes, we all flourish!!
It's a quiet Saturday morning with early morning sun lighting up my front window. I should be relishing all the things I could do on a blue-sky late spring day, but all I can do is sit and stare. That lost, alone, languishing feeling is back… again… with the usual nausea and the feeling of being near tears. In fact, the tears fill my lower eyelids but no actual tears flow. I feel choked with anguish but unable to express it outwardly.
Am I depressed? No, not really. I have mostly good days, and life has precious moments. I enjoy…
…h work is unpaid: caregiving; cooking; cleaning; volunteering; teaching; loving; healing; creating. Our society is not willing to pay for this kind of work because it does not translate into an immediate profit for millionaires and billionaires.
Best line of this outstanding article, Katye! That is exactly the problem with our economic system. It exists to reward only those at the very top, not to create a vibrant flourishing society in which everyone reaches their full human potential. People must be made to feel like shirkers, not workers, so they can be shamed and manipulated into slaving away at horrible jobs that only benefit those who own the enterprise.
…actually keep track of who is vaccinated, the latest CDC guidelines are useless and even dangerous. Those who have chosen not to be vaccinated are now at great risk, and many will likely get sick and die. It is unfair to nurses and medical staff who will have to deal with any fallout. There is also now a large burden on businesses and employee…
Outstanding analysis, Katye!! This is a GREAT article! And the irony is those who may have contributed most to the death rate by ignoring precautions are now themselves most vulnerable.
Excellent piece, Jeremy! Helpful description of cognitive distortions and how capitalism and cultural biases play into them. It would have been nice to have a few simple tips about how to overcome the distortions. Could that be your next piece--a followup article? Love to hear your advice.
… of a willow sapling.
Just as it settles in,
a green and ruby hummingbird
lands on the same branch.
The two sit quietly for a while,
delighting in the company
of their fellow traveling soul
in the perfect peace of the tree.
And then as if called by the breeze,
set off together again,
apparently on the same journey,
an unlikely pair — like you and I.
Priyanka Srivastava thank you for enjoying and highlighting my poem, The Butterfly and the Hummingbird.
MBA, BA English | Prose | Poetry | Spirituality | Progressive Politics | Nature | Personal Growth | he/him